Monday, June 6, 2011

"I'm an Ex Mormon"

So, this is a touchy subject. But I just wanted to share a little thought. You can read it, or skip it. I have noticed that there are these "I'm a Mormon" ads that seem to pop up in the most unsuspecting places. And you know what- that's fine. I think it's great for anyone to be able to say "I'm proud of who I am. This is me." Well, as it turns out, there is a lovely counterpart to these ads. I somehow stumbled upon these "I'm an Ex Mormon" ads. There's a whole slew of them. I think that if we can appreciate someone standing up for what they believe in and announce it to everyone, we can appreciate these ads as well. I love that they're non-controversial, they're matter of fact, and they are eye opening.

I especially love this one. Leaving Mormonism is such a personal journey. Those who are able to travel it alone might have it easier. Then there are those who are married. And the issue is now at a whole new level. Some who leave Mormonism and are married do it alone, and others leave together. I like this video, for obvious reasons like that it shows how great a marriage and family can be after Mormonism. But also because it shows how although these two individuals were married, they had their own personal journey.


I'm so happy and lucky that John and I have traveled this road together. This Saturday marks our six year anniversary. I would never have imagined that we would be here six years ago. But in my most "spiritual" times, I never imagined feeling a happiness and peace that we have now was ever possible either.

1 comment:

Janee said...

I love these ads, this video in particular. You and John are so lucky to have traveled the road together and could support one another. It's rough when you are solo for a time. It's so sad that families are broken up because of differing religious views. I have a good friend out here (who you know) whose marriage is ending for that reason. Thankfully, D and I have ended up much like this couple and I'm so grateful for that! Being happy and at peace is SO wonderful!