I was presented with an opportunity to self-reflect. I asked myself the question: "Am I mature? Why or why not?" I really thought hard to find answers to this question.
For anyone who knows me, it's kinda common knowledge that I am a little immature. So, I guess I already know that I'm immature. But why? I ran around this question in my mind several times. I asked myself if I could not be immature. Everytime I thought about that idea, I basically came to the conclusion that, I don't want to act mature.
As I continued to ponder this question, I thought about what being "immature" was to me. I think it's important to understand that there is a difference between "immature" and "irresponsible". If anything, I know that I am a responsible adult, but I still act very immature a lot of the times. John's used to me, but even for him, he has to stop me from doing stuff that may be a little too immature.
I decided to ask John this question- Am I immature? John came up with very good answers to this, and also brought up a song or two that say it best.
"Is it attention that we crave- dont tell us to behave, Im sick of always hearing act your age.
I dont want to waste my time. Become another casualty of society. Ill never fall in line, Become another victim of your conformity.
We like having fun at other peoples expenses and Cutting people down is just a minor offence then, Its none of your concern, I guess Ill never learn. Im sick of being told to wait my turn.
I like songs with distortion, to drink in proportion.... I dont want to waste my time Become another casualty of society. Ill never fall in line. Become another victim of your conformity."
This is by Sum41.
"Why do girls wanna pierce their nose,and walk around in torn pantyhose?
I like the ones who say they listen to the punk rock. I like the kids who fight against how they were brought up.
So give me one good reason,why we need to be like them."
This is by Blink 182.
In connection to these songs, John said: "There's a difference between getting old, and growing up. Staying young means you stay a kid at heart. You don't become boring just because you grow up. Growing up means you take on responsibility- like finances, children, a job... be an adult who can contribe to society"
John is very wise.
Throughout my teenage years, I hated the idea of getting older and becoming a boring adult. I thought acting like a fun/young teenager was so fun, and I didn't want to not act like that just because I got older.
I'm 25 and I still think farts are funny. I like to make faces at cars when I'm in the passenger seat. I like to say weird comments in public that make other people uncomfortable. I like to watch Family Guy- and laugh at it. I laugh when people fall. I laugh when people talk about bowel movements. I laugh when Daphne says something inappropriate. I thought it was the funniest thing when Daphne would fart really loud in sacrament meeting. I think it's funny to chuck a snowball at John in the parking lot of Target.
I don't believe that just because I'm growing older and becoming an adult means I have to be boring and think farts aren't funny. I take everything with a grain of salt and try to laugh off everything. Life is short and shouldn't be taken too seriously. I am immature. But I am a very responsible person. Anyone who begs to differ will be proven otherwise. I am a very responsible mother. I have earned a college degree. I am responsible financially. I contribue to society.
I am not like the average 25 year old. I am not the average mom, or wife. And I like that about me. John likes that about me. I believe laughter is life's best medicine. I can grow up and still be a kid at heart. I am immature and I'm proud of it!
2 comments:
Hee hee! Mike told me once that the greatest insult he had to endure was when he was trying to impress some girl and she told him he was immature :). Then he asked that same question- if he was immature. And you're totally right- you can still have fun and laugh and not be immature! Who really WANTS to be a stiff,boring adult, eh?
I think that maturity is greatly overrated! I too laugh at all those things (farts included) and I even own every season of Family Guy and The Venture Brothers! I don't EVER want to grow up!!!
Post a Comment