Monday, August 29, 2011

Bubble Girl

Today I visited the allergist! Yay! For months now I've been experiencing severe allergies; sneezing, itchy nose, itchy eyes, plugged ears, and some mild coughing. It comes and goes, but has been pretty consistent. The thing that got me into the dr was the ear plugging/clogging. I had no idea why that would be happening, and then my dr said that it might be an allergy symptom. So, off to the allergist I went to get pricked all up and down my arm to find out what I'm allergic to.


Turns out I am allergic to grass, weeds, trees, cats, and have a lactose intolerance. With the cat allergy- I explained to them that I've had my cat for 3 years now and that I don't experience allergic reactions much with her. I was told that people with cat allergies can adapt to their own cat, and stop experiencing a reaction. But if I were to have another cat rub up against me, I might have an allergy attack.

The lactose intolerance I'm actually not surprised about. When I gave dairy up a month ago, I stopped feeling all the discomfort I was having. The trigger on the gun for me was actually last night. After a month of no dairy, I had quite a bit of cheese last night at a party. By the time we were driving home, my stomach was painfully bloated to the point that I looked like I was 3 or 4 months pregnant.

And as far as the weeds, grass, and tree allergies, I will try a nasal spray to combat symptoms. If that doesn't work very well then I will have to get allergy injections.

I'm also waiting results from a blood draw to see if I'm allergic to our guinea pig... It's leaning towards a yes, but they wanted to do the blood draw to be 100% sure.

It's just good to know what it is that I'm allergic to, and to be able to treat it a little better and avoid things that may cause an allergy attack. Currently I have been trying to keep my allergies at bay by taking a Claritin every morning, and then Benadryl every night, to no avail.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: