Well, anyway, on to the post. This morning I saw a post on my facebook news feed asking the following: "in the world of trendy and twee desserts, do you go for cupcakes, donuts, or ice cream sandwiches?" Obviously, the answer is none of them. Brownies rule as number 1 in my book. After I saw this question, I just started thinking about how funny it was that cupcakes are so trendy. And why? All it is is a small piece of cake. Cake is so BORING. To me, all that is special about a cupcake is the cuteness of how small it is. So then I got to thinking about having a cupcake that was actually a brownie! And after I thought of that, I knew that it just had to be tried. So that's exactly what I did!
I went to my trusty brownie recipe found in Mark Bitman's cook book "How To Cook Everything". These are by far the best brownies I've ever made from scratch. I've looked far and wide for the best brownie recipe, and this no-fuss recipe nails it.

Melt 8 tbsp of butter, 9 tbsp of cocoa powder, and 3 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat.

The recipe calls for 3 tbsp of unsweetened chocolate, but I never have unsweetened chocolate just laying around in my cabinets. But I do have this- and it's the best cocoa powder ever.

After the butter has melted, transfer to a bowl and mix in 1 cup of white sugar.

Mix in 2 eggs.

And then 1/2 cup flour, pinch of salt, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Gently mix together.

Here is where it gets crazy. I have seen a product for sale in stores recently that is basically a brownie pan/cupcake pan with little rectangles instead of circles. I guess it's supposed to eliminate the cutting of brownies? How knows. But who says that brownies have to be square?!

And then this is where the crazy goes to a whole new level...

That's right. A dollop of peanut butter right in the brownie. This is almost a requirement whenever I make a chocolate type of treat. John LOVES peanut butter desserts, so I do this for him. I think it's pretty good, but I do love myself a good old fashioned brownie with nothing in it. So I only added PB to half the pan.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Doesn't it look like those brownie bites that you can buy at the store?? It's so cute! See? Brownies can join in on the fun too.

And of course, here is what the ooey gooey inside looks like. And you know what? It kind of tastes like a gourmet Reese's peanute butter cup.

1 comment:
yu-uum! Gonna make this tonight!
Post a Comment