Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Speeding

About a year or so ago, John told me about how the greater Portland area uses white vans parked in inconspicuous locations to photo enforce speed limits. I thought that was crazy talk! I can handle photo enforced intersections- you know where they are, and it's easily visible as to not run a red light. But vans that maneuver around Portland... you never know where they are!

I didn't think much about it until a few months ago, the day I was on my way to tour Daphne's new school, I raced down a hill in Beaverton and saw this white van flash at me a few times. My friend so nicely pointed out that I had just been caught speeding. I seriously doubted that was what happened, because it was just so weird and foreign I didn't think it would pan out to be anything.

A few weeks later, I got a thick envelope in the mail, with lots of pictures of me racing down that hill in Beaverton. Pictures of my car, close up pictures of my profile, everything. They even provided me with a link and a code so I could watch the video tape of it.

Me being me, I sent in the necessary info to put in a not guilty plea. You couldn't even see my whole face for crying out loud! After a month or so I looked up my case- dismissed! But I am sure to slow down whenever I see a white van parked on the side of the road and I haven't gotten my picture taken again since.

1 comment:

Janee said...

Yeah, photo radar is a huge controversy here in AZ. I've been snapped a few times, plead not guilty and it was also subsequently dismissed.

I don't think many people realize you don't have to pay them (at least here anyway).