Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Poverty

Today, I am grateful for my home. My warm home. I am grateful for my husband and his education as an attorney. I am grateful we are able to afford more than we need. I am grateful for our phones, that we may call whomever we need, whenever we need to. There are so many things that I feel are taken advantage of. I come home and worry that my home isn't clean enough, our food isn't nice enough, or that I'm a little chilly-when really all I need to do is put a sweater on. When really, I should be grateful I have a house to come home to, and this house will be there this month, and next month, and the month after. I should be grateful that we have enough food to feed our small family, and grateful that we can afford to heat our home, and don't have to worry about how we will do it.

I am grateful for these things, because I realize there are families who, today in the United States of America, don't know how they are going to pay their rent next month, or pay their utilities to heat their home, or make a phone call if they need to. Today their are families who haven't worked in 2 and a half weeks. When they go out everyday for 8 hours a day looking for work. Only to come home to a family of 5 empty handed.