Sunday, March 7, 2010

SMOOTHIES!

Last weekend I went to visit my friend Andrea. Needless to say, I had a blast. One of my favorite parts of the weekend was learning how to make Green Smoothies. I decided to blog about my week of smoothie making since then- I just want to make sure I give credit to Andrea for the positive influence!

So the first smoothie I made was an exact replica of one Andrea made for me. Here's what's in it:

I'll call this... Cucumber Smoothie

-1 cup o.j.
-3 tbsp ground flax seed
-2 blood oranges
-1 cucumber (cubbed)
-2 bananas
-2-3 cups spinach
-ice

The thing I love about these smoothies is that they're so unconventional. Cucumbers? Spinach? Before you judge- try it! Once everything is blended together you would never guess there was spinach in your smoothie aside from the odd green color.

The next day I made one that was a little more reflective of my own style. I'll call this one the green berry smoothie:

-1 cup o.j.
-3 tbsp ground flax seed
-1 cup frozen mixed berries (I used about 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup marionberries)
-1/2 of a pomegranites seeds
-2 bananas
-1/2 cup yogurt
-2-3 cups spinach

I decided that these smoothies need yogurt. You just can't compromize that creamy flavor that yogurt gives you. This smoothie was a lot sweeter due to more fruit and less vegetables. I like the idea of just throwing spinach in your smoothie. I mean- why not? You don't even know it's there and it's super healthy for you!

Here's my third smoothie:

-1 cup o.j.
-3 tbsp flax seed
-3 blood oranges
-1 cucumber
-the rest of the pomegranite seeds
-3 strawberries (these were just lying around so I threw them in)
-1 banana (that's all I had)
-1/2 cup yogurt
-2-3 cups spinach
-ice

So John and I noticed that if there is a cucumber in the smoothie, it tastes a little more vegetably. I don't mind though.

This morning's smoothie was really good! This one is called Green Smoothie Exotica

-1 cup o.j.
-3 tbsp flax
-1 mango
-3 kiwis
-2 bananas
-1/2 cup yogurt
-2 cups spinach
-ice

It was a solid bright green and very sweet! Daphne asked for seconds! Daphne has been drinking the smoothies every day and always likes them. Could you imagine her reaction if she could comprehend that she was drinking spinach? We won't break the news to her yet...

Anyway- I love these smoothies! I just wish I had a better blender so they were a little more smooth. Right now they aren't as "blended" as I would like. Our blender is cheap- it was probably the cheapest one at Target and we got it when we got married... almost 5 years ago! We're kinda leaning towards getting those really cool blenders that can blend anything-the ones they demo at Costco. We'll see!

1 comment:

Alecia said...

you should start throwing in some kale too, it's super good for you...makes the smoothie slightly bitter though, might not be daphne friendly. worth a shot though, hella nutrientzzzzz. :) miss you guys!