Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Work post Wednesday

This job is insane. Not in a bad way though. There is just a lot to learn. Being that it is a federally funded organization, there are TONS of performance standards to adhere. Tons meaning over 800. I only know of one woman that supposedly knows all of them.

This job is so intricate, it boggles my mind all the time. I have had about 10 trainings so far... all about something different, yet important. Yesterday a coworker and I had a training with two other gals who were fairly new to the organization as well. As the training went on, we all started to look more and more overwhelmed. The coordinator who was doing the training stepped out and I shared some advice with the other gals that I had received from a different coordinator who has worked with the organization for almost 3 years. She told me that you don't learn this job until about your 2nd or 3rd year of employment. I value that advice. Especially those moments when I need to know which form that I've never seen needs to be filled out for a task that I've never done before and then sent to some person in some department I've never even physically seen.

So I shared that with the others. A minute later the coordinator came back in. I think she saw we looked overwhelmed. She said to us, "you know, you just don't learn this job until about 2 or 3 years in."

Thanks for the advice!

No comments: