Saturday, January 9, 2010

I challenge myself to a duel


Around or about fall of 2008 I was a stay at home mom. After a few months of that I became SO bored that I subscribed to about 10 magazines. I thought this would help occupy my time, in a cheap way. Well, shortly after that I decided to work full time. The magazines started pouring in and taking over my mail box in 2009. I tried to keep up, I did. But soon gave up and just started stacking the magazines in corners of the house. The first ones to go straight towards the stack were Food and Wine and Bon Appetit. Not that I don't love food, just that those magazines seem so overwhelming to me. They're full of delicious recipes that appear impossible to ever make myself. Plus, the layouts make reading them take more effort than I was ever willing to put forth.


Well, today I've been doing a lot of decluttering. And I faced a task that I've been putting off... going through my magazines. In addition to the unread magazines I had a lot of magazines that I did read (breezed through one time) mingled in there as well. "Enough" I said to myself. So I started sorting. I threw away all the Self, Glamour, and Fitness magazines. I keep my Real Simple Magazines, because lets face it, that's like the Bible of magazines. I HAVE to keep those. But while sorting, I realized I had a HUGE stack of Food and Wine & Bon Appetit magazines that I just haven't even read! What a waste! Especially since the Bon Appetit magazine was a gift subscription from John.


I made a decision. I want to not only read these magazines, but actually try the recipes inside them. What I have decided to do is try at least one new recipe a week from one of the food magazines and... BLOG ABOUT IT!


I know right? Lets see how long this lasts!


I can't start til next week or so due to reasons I'll forgo to mention here. But the first recipe I will try is Hot-and-Crunchy Chicken Cones from Food & Wine's January 2010 issue. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

The Morgans said...

Kind of like that Julie and Julia movie. I am excited to read about it. I wish I were as motivated as you are. When I get home from work the last thing I want to do is cook.

Amberly said...

Yeah, I think I'm going to leave the cooking/experiment day for a weekend day.

Willow said...

I like the Bon Apetit recipes -- they're just a little more complex. But the results are usually well worth it. Do them when you have a lazy day and lots of time so you don't stress.

Lisa Gottlieb-Kinnaird