Coupons are weird to me. I hear all the time about people who get things for almost free by using the right coupons at the right stores. I saw on Oprah (hey Alyson I'm watching Oprah!) a couple weeks ago about how to pinch pennies in today's economy. One woman was in a clip where she used coupons at a grocery store and got a grocery bill down from over $100 to about $37. She briefly explained how easy it was and gave her website address. I also remember that when I was younger my mom was really into coupons as well. She also talked about getting things for almost free and cutting her grocery bill in half.
I have browsed coupons before, but always saw that they were for things I wouldn't normally buy, or for name brand items. I thought that it was just cheaper to get the store brand item anyway.
But yesterday I finally decided I would try it. I bought Sunday's paper, clipped coupons that I thought I could use, planned my menu and grocery list around the coupon items, and then looked for more coupons online. At first I thought I could use more than one coupon for an item which is how I thought people were getting things for free. But I found out that's not the case. One coupon per item. "Hmmmm..." I thought, "we'll see how this works."
I left last night after John got home. He cared for Daphne, who by the way is fine now and hasn't thrown up anymore, while I spent a leisurely 3 hours getting gas, getting a coffee, exchanging a resistance tube, and then finally heading to superwalmart.
The Verdict:
I spent 2 hours grocery shopping. I usually spend about 1, but it took a lot longer to have to search out the items I had coupons for.
I spent about twice as much money as I normally would. I got items I always get that I didn't have coupons for such as milk, bananas, bread, more fruits and veggies, etc. My grocery bill: $140. My normal grocery bill: anywhere between $70-$100.
However, I now get to try lots of new things like Pillsbury Savorings, Tyson Anytizers, Steamfresh meals for two, and Bertoli Ready-Pouch Pasta Sauce.
I think from now on I will use these coupons to help me buy things I would normally purchase. I had coupons for lunchmeat, cereal, coffee creamer, sugar free jello cups, and Buitoni tortellinis and sauce. These are things that usually do find their way into my cart.
At least for now, my freezer and fridge are full of ready to eat meals for those days where I'm just too tired to cook. Which is almost everyday.
6 comments:
I wish I would cut coupons - I'm too lazy.
I think Mom found certain coupons or stores where you could use multiples, and/or other stores that took other stores coupons. I remember going shopping with her once, it was crazy. Tons of coupons, and it took a long time at the check out counter.
-Eric
Ya I talked to mom about it before I went to the store. Stores don't really do "store coupons" anymore, and you're only allowed to use one coupon per item. It says so on the coupon. Some stores double coupons, meaning they just give you a discount for the amount of the coupon you bring in, but those are expensive stores, like Safeway, and ends up not being worth it.
Hey funny that you would blog about this. I was just clipping coupons last night thinking that I would try it out for the first time. We'll see how it goes.
I watched that too, and signed up at the website, but i still don't see how they save that much. I'm lost when it comes to coupons.
I've never used coupons, and I probably wont, but maybe I'll try and keep an eye out for coupons for things i actually use...we'll see
-Brooke
(Eric really needs to get his own name on here so you know who's writing...then again it's usually pretty obvious which one of us is is...lol)
Post a Comment