Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolution

I'm one of those people who tend to think "New Years resolutions are dumb! I am NOT going to announce outlandish resolutions to the world only to FAIL in front of EVERYONE." I start off thinking this... but I usually end up retracting this statement and write down a thoughtful list of realistic goals I wish to complete during the year.

After I was finally able to catch my breath after Christmas, and then again after John's family stayed with us for a visit for 6 days after Christmas, it was time to sit down and think about changes I wanted to make and goals I wanted to complete.

I dug through my blog to read my resolution post from last year. Here it is if you want to reference it. I was really proud of myself when I realized I accomplished nearly all of my goals

1) I'm happy to say that I got very creative in lots of different ways (with the help of spray paint). And the creativity won't stop here. We've still got LOTS more work to do on this huge house!
2) I have gotten straight A's since attending PSU. I'm so happy with myself!
3) I didn't necessarily participate in any fitness competitions, but I did join a women's soccer league. I absolutely love it. We play weekly games and I am absolutely addicted!
3b) I did achieve my fitness goal in 2011! I was able to lose about 15 pounds and have kept it off with the cleanse I blogged about and a change in my diet. I have never been more satisfied with my eating habits or about how I look and feel.
4) 2011's garden was pretty successful. But I learned a LOT. Some things went over very well, and some things not so well. I'm excited to see how I can use what I've learned to make a bigger and better 2012 garden. I did preserve food- just by freezing it, not canning it.
5) Unfortunately, I was not able to travel to Japan. I'm aiming for it still. Perhaps this year. Or maybe next year.

So, I feel pretty pumped to look at the goals I wrote down last year and to see that I pretty much accomplished them all. Without further ado, here are my goals for 2012!

1) Practice yoga at least once a week (however twice a week would be better!). I absolutely LOVE yoga. I feel SO great when I do it. I got really into the routine of doing it almost everyday during the summer, and then when fall picked up I lost the momentum. I want to start out by setting a goal of once a week. I truly believe that If I can do that, I will want to do it more often.

2) Limit sweets/treats/desserts to once a day at 100 calories at a time. I don't know what has gotten into me, but I am craving desserts and treats all the time! The funny thing is I really believe that I am very good at keeping up with my diet. However, I somehow talk myself into believing that it's ok to eat cookies and brownies all the time! It's out of control. So from now on, this is my rule.

3) Spend quality time with Daphne everyday. Preferably 30 minutes. Life can sure get in the way with what matters most. I admit that on a day to day basis I'm find myself telling Daphne that I'm too tired to play the game she made up. Even though I spend a fair amount of time listening to her stories, reading to her at bed time, talking to her in the car... it's the times I sit down and give her my FULL attention that matters most. When John, Daphne, and I sit down a play a board game or play hide and go seek, it really connects us as a family. And I want to try and do something like that everyday. Because these moments are fleeting people!

4) Go on a vacation with just John and myself. I can't remember the last time that John and I went on an overnight vacation with just him and me. But I'd sure like to make that a priority to do something like that at least once a year.

And like I said last year- don't let January be the only time of the year that you decide to set goals for yourself. Cause I don't.

No comments: