Friday, August 19, 2011

Diet Update

I am stuck in a bad habit. Every morning, John wakes up and gets in the shower. I wake up, go upstairs and make breakfast for everyone. We eat breakfast together (I love that we make it a point to do this everyday), John leaves for work, I continue to eat breakfast (since The Cleanse it takes me FOREVER to eat) and sip coffee after he leaves. I then take my coffee and mozy to the office where I web surf for TOO LONG. Then by mid morning I chastise myself for wasting too much time as I proceed to get in the shower. Is it really a bad habit? Or just one of those simple joys in life to relish? I think it's the latter.

SO, I have been meaning to update about what happened after I finished the cleanse. Because, let me tell you, it was quite interesting.

As you may recall, I announced that I would not be doing the orange juice day on the ease out process. I went straight into the fruit and veggie day. It was harder than I imagined it would be. That first day of eating real food again was really tough. I could feel my body kinda freaking out. I believe I only consumed 700 calories that day. I had green smoothies for breakfast and lunch. The breakfast smoothie kept me full for 4 hours, and I was only able to drink a little for lunch.

The next day was Saturday. I think I had an omelet for breakfast, and only ate half. And I can't remember what I had for lunch, but I do remember that John and I were heading out to a friends house for a party. Just as we were leaving the house, my body decided to turn against me. I felt sick all over. I didn't know why, or what I could do to fix it. We were driving in the car down I5, and we had to get off and turn around. At this time, I was trying to convince myself that my body was extremely deficient in carbs and protein, so John convinced me to eat a Burger King cheeseburger. I gobbled that thing down in record time. BAD IDEA.

It didn't help me feel any better and by the time we got to John's sister's house (to drop off Daphne) I felt nauseous, and like there was a HUGE pit in my stomach. I rested on the sofa waiting to see if anything would improve. It didn't. So, I decided the only way I could begin to feel better was to help the nausea along, and try to throw up the cheeseburger. Oh, and my SIL also gave me some Pepto Bismal to help my upset stomach. So I went in the bathroom, and threw up every ounce of that cheeseburger and Pepto. My body completely rejected it. And after that happened I felt like a million bucks.

We took off for the party, and I forced myself to eat some veggies and water. I did consume 2/3 of a beer (first one in 3 weeks), but stuck to drinking lots of water. I was actually very happy with myself at the party. There was a whole table full of food (carbs, cheese, unhealthy snacks, etc) and I didn't touch any of it. I didn't even WANT to eat it. Whereas, before, I would have snacked on it all night long.

The day after was pretty similar. I struggled eating, kept myself on very healthy foods, felt pretty weak, etc. I could feel the difference in my body. My body was really working on accepting food again. It was such a strange feeling.

Since then I have slowly worked my way up to eating 1,200-1,500 calories per day. As part of my new eating lifestyle, I am counting every calorie I consume. I have also given up LOTS of foods that I used to eat. My diet is fairly simple, and I absolutely love it. To break it up I will talk about what I am eating and not eating in different posts. So, stay tuned.

No comments: