Monday, December 6, 2010

The Revolution Will Be Quilted

"Not that long ago, crafting was strictly for fluffy old ladies with too many doilies, cats and cotton balls. No more. Modern crafters drink booze while they knit bikinis. They crochet, but aren't crotchety. They wrap parking meters in knitted cozies like crusading street artists. And they stitch and really bitch, then sell their adorable wares on Etsy instead of at church bazaars.

It's a crafting revolution out there. If you're not with us, well, then you're missing out."

More HERE

I think I was a little late to jump on the craft band wagon. But I do really like thinking about making stuff that I want, myself. I am a beginning crocheter, and the only thing I have produced so far is about 15 squares for a big blanket. And I have been working on that on and off for a YEAR! But just imagining all the things I could make myself with a spool of yarn and a hook is exciting. That's why when I pulled out my Christmas decorations, only to find ONCE AGAIN that most of our stockings were from the dollar store, I thought to myself "I should just MAKE new stockings!" That preface can go with just about anything else I have been lusting after this winter. Socks, hats, gloves, scarfs, cowls, etc.

Anyway, it was exciting to read this article and to see that ambition justified just a little. Because John still associated crocheted items with tacky/unreliable/old people. Not anymore!

No comments: