Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm addicted...

How I got a 4lb bag of frozen chicken for $2:

So, when I was working full time I didn't have time, nor did I care about "getting a good deal". I always assumed it was too much effort to spend all that time to save a dollar or so when we were well off financially. Since we're making a great effort to save every penny for our down payment, I am extra aware of where I can get a good deal. Aside from taking care of Daphne and cleaning the house, getting good deals is my full time job.

Safeway sends out these cool coupons to get stuff for free, and at a reduced price. What a concept! I got a coupon for $4 off a 4lb bag of chicken and decided to use it. And I mean, why not? I don't usually shop at Safeway because I KNOW that they jack up their prices to be a "high end store". But for $4 off chicken- I'm there!

The chicken was originally priced at $11.96 and was on sale with their club card for $7.96. Already a deal. With the $4 off, that would price it at $3.96. BUT WAIT! If you go to Safeway's website, they often have coupons that you can load to your card. Now, I have to be honest. I'm not a fan of coupons because they are generally for expensive packaged food that I never buy anyway. But I do keep my eye out for my staple grocery items, because I don't consider it saving money unless I was going to buy it anyway.

On Safeways website was a coupon for $2 off a 4lb bag of frozen chicken. Adding that to my other coupon gave me that $11.96 bag of chicken for only $1.96.

1 comment:

Janee said...

I hear ya on that...I always go through all the grocery store ads for deals and do the price match at Walmart so I'm not running around all over the place. It's awesome! Then I usually go to Sprouts or our local farmers market for meat and produce. I will go anywhere for a smokin DEAL though...good times :)