Wednesday, June 2, 2010

“I give you both a blessing and a curse in the same breath. . .to be born in a time of change.” -Confucius


I had heard that our food system was bad, but I had no idea it was this bad. I just finished watching Food, Inc. Before you think another second about anything, ask yourself these questions:
Do you actually know what’s in your food and how it was made? Do you know if animals or humans were abused to bring it to your table? Do you know if what you are eating has been genetically modified (GM) and that there are no long term studies on the effects of GM foods on humans? Do you know if the animal you are eating is a clone? Did you even know that in 2008 the FDA approved the sale of meat and milk from cloned livestock? Do you know that if you are not carefully paying attention to the food you buy it may be closer to science fiction than food?

The movie “Food Inc.” is a great place to start examining those questions. I hope you watch it. I hope you watch it to help yourself and your family. What you see will indeed be “a blessing and a curse.”
While living in Bakersfield, I did not see as much of the organic/local movement as I see here in Portland. For that I feel very lucky. I live down the street from a Food Co-op where I know I can get good quality groceries. I hope that this is somewhat feesable everyone.

At the end of the movie some text is displayed on the screen. Here is what it said... I will leave my post at that.

"You can vote to change this system. Three times a day. Buy from companies that treat workers, animals, and the environment with respect. When you go to the supermarket, choose foods that are in season. Buy foods that are organic. Know what's in your food. Read labels. Know what you buy.

The average meal travels 1,500 miles from the farm to the supermarket. Buy foods that are grown locally. Shop at farmers' markets. Plant a garden. (even a small one). Cook a meal with your family and eat it together. Everyone has a right to healthy food. Make sure your farmers' market takes food stamps. Ask your school board to provide healthy school lunches. The FDA and USDA are supposed to protect you and your family. Tell Congress to enforce food saftey standards and reintroduce Kevin's law. If you say grace, ask for food that will keep us, and the planet healthy. Youc an change the world with every bite. Hungry for change? Go to takepart.com/foodinc"

1 comment:

Alyson said...

I have been trying to find a place to get the movie online. Know of any? It is indeed a scary thing to think of the things we are putting into our mouths.