Sunday, December 28, 2008

Daphne the Greek Nymph

Daphne's beauty captivated all the gods. Pursued by Apollo, Daphne was frightened. For protection her father turned her into a laurel tree. In her honor, Apollo created a wreath from her leaves. The wreath, since called a Daphne, remains a symbol of excellence.

While John's dad was visiting, we toured downtown Portland. On our tour we visited the Greek Cafe called "Daphne's". John and I have wanted to eat there, for obvious reasons, since we first saw it when we moved here. It was a great restaurant, with delicious Greek food. I've never had real Greek food, so it was a lot of fun to try something new. I got the vegetarian plate with hummus and falafel.

A really cool part about visiting this restaurant, was this beautiful painting (above) they had displayed there with the quote below it. I have to admit, I didn't know of any of this when I named Daphne. It's a really cool story, and gives Daphne's name a lot more interest. Just thought I'd share.

3 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Cool- we don't really want to spend a lot of time in Brooklyn, NY, considering. Now if there was a cool RESTAURANT- now that's the ticket!
p.s. a cheese crisp is a gringo way of saying quesadilla... I knew I'd spell it wrong on my blog so I took the lame way out :)

Brooke said...

How fun!!! I don't think there's an "Alaura's" out there...but let me know if you see one!!!

Alyson said...

Where are you guys? Hope everything is okay!!!