Monday, October 20, 2008

Big People in a Little World

I think the great thing about Halloween is making an activity of going out and getting your holiday pumpkins. But you can't just go to the supermarket and pick one up... You gotta go to ROLOFF FARMS!!!

That's right. For any of you who watch TLC or just watch the show Little People Big World, you know about Roloff Farms. If you don't, click here. Roloff Farms is a pumpkin farm ran by a family with three little people and three regular size people. The mother and father are little people, and one of the four children are little people. I started watching this show about a couple years ago when I discovered TLC, which also airs three of my other favorite shows: Jon and Kate plus 8, LA Ink and What Not To Wear.

I started watching this show though just because it had midgets. I thought it was so fun to watch the midgets. But I soon became hooked. I honestly don't know why it's so interesting to watch people just living their life, but it is! Anyway, I soon realized that when we moved out to Portland, we HAD to be close to Roloff farms and actually get to go! So on Saturday we did.

I really didn't know what to expect. But their farm is about 20-30 miles west of Portland in some rural farming areas. There were HUNDREDS of cars lined up on the road just to visit this farm. It took us over an hour from the time we hit traffic to park our car and get out. There were literally thousands of people. But their farm is so big with so much to do it didn't really matter.

I didn't know if the familiy would be there or not, but soon enough we started to see them carrying along just doing their thing. I first saw Matt Roloff driving around in some four wheeler. He can't walk to well so this is probably the best way for him to get around. He drove by really slow by a big group of people and you could run up and take a picture with him. That was a little too tedious and crowded so I just snapped one with someone else in it.

Here's their big pumpkin patch. It was pretty bare, probably because they get SO MUCH business. John and Daphne are on the left.


Daphne amazed me by being able to pick up these pumpkins. What a strong girl!
They had a "wild" animal zoo. Here's Daphne (cautiously) checking one of the snakes.
We did both the tours they have their. It tours their whole farm and it even drives by their house. Here we are on a tractor ride waiting for the tour to start. You can get an idea of how big the farm is by clicking here.
I thought this sign was funny. Matt has a barn that is only for men and his "man" projects. The sign says "Mens Crisis Center. No criticizing men in the barn".

The first tour stops at their western town. It's very cool. You get to get off the tour for 10 minutes and check out the town.
I told John to not get a drink at the saloon, but this is where I found him.... J/K. This is the bar in the western town. Cute huh?
And the church. You can see that Daphne is inside if you look through the door.
Also at the stop are Matt's parents who also appear on the show quite a bit, and their daughter Molly. Daphne really liked their dog. Does that even come as a surprise?
Us with Matt's parents and their daughter Molly.
As we were driving away their son Zach came out. He was kinda behind the scenes the whole time, but I managed to get a blurry shot of him.
Here's their trevache` that was actually not working when we were there. So we didn't get to see any pumpkin launches :-(
Towards the end of the day we started seeing filming crew around. Don't get excited, you won't be seeing us on the show....

Waiting in line for tour number 2.
Picking our pumpkins. I honestly don't know what the deal is with the green ones. But there were a lot of dark green ones there. I thought it would look cool if we got an original orange one and then mixed it up with a green one too.
Here's their house. I got a good picture of it on tour 2. So, for those of you who are watching the show, those are filmed from last year. The house IS done and looks SO AWESOME!
I don't like to be the "star struck" type, but we got a picture with Amy. I don't really even like to treat people like their anything different just because they're on TV, but I just had to get the picture. She was out and walking around all day, just meeting people and taking pictures. There was actually a big line earlier, just to get a picture with her. So, I wasn't going to do it. But just as we were about to leave there was no one around her so we grabbed a shot.
And that's our visit to Roloff Farms. I got a picture of Jeremy, the other twin, but it looks kinda paparazzi-ish. It's no biggy though, he was just doing his job, driving the tractor for the tour we were on. We are SO going back every year that they have it. It was so much fun. It's free to just visit the farm, but everything else costs money. But it's just so cool to see this family running a really good family business and being so down to earth.

4 comments:

Janee said...

Cool! That's so awesome that they are just out and about like that!

Alyson said...

What a cool family.

elise blaine said...

I love their show how fun that you guys are so close the farm.

Melissa May said...

Okay, so I am a total ass - but I am TERRIFIED of little people. Not sure why, I KNOW its a terrible personality trait, but I am just scared to death of them. As a way to make myself more tolerant, I TRIED to watch this show, but I couldn't even make it to the first commercial break.

I know, I am going to Hell.