Monday, September 29, 2008

Prop 2 for Californians

As a plea to all of my blog readers who live in California, PLEASE vote yes on Prop 2. It's a bill that is only on the California ballot so I won't be able to vote for it. But, as a born and raised California girl, things that go on in California still feel personal to me. Also because I have many family and friends who live there who I may be able to convince to vote the way I'd like to vote- and because California is such a huge state, I kinda feel like it's the older sibling to the other states.

A little exert from yesonprop2.com sums it up for ya'll:

"This November 4, Californians should vote YES! on Prop 2 – a modest measure that stops cruel and inhumane treatment of animals, ending the practice of cramming farm animals into cages so small the animals can't even turn around, lie down or extend their limbs."

Please try to inform yourself as much as possible this November so you can make as much of a difference as possible when voting. Don't just vote "no" for things you haven't read up on. Please research these issues! A great place to get well informed is declareyourself.com. This link will guide you to your own state so you can read up on issues that are relevant to your area. Thanks.

5 comments:

Melissa May said...

Amen, sister!

Brooke said...

I am all for the humane treatment of animals, but I don't think I will vote "yes" on prop 2. This will only drive the industries affected out of California, making us more dependent on getting these products from out of state, and out of country. Doesn't solve the problem, just pushes it around and raises prices at the grocery store. The real solution would be a federal law, and getting rid of NAFTA.
-Eric

Amberly said...

No no no no no. If anything, it will benefit local farmers. It works perfectly out here in Portland/Vancouver. Co-Op stores, markets and restaurants who contribute to local produce and products thrive just as much the chain gangs. There's a restaurant out there called Burgerville who uses all local produce and food. There are probably more of those than McDonald's. And, anything you get at a WholeFoods (all local and human/organic food) will cost just as much as anything at Vons/Safeway. Besides, giving in to the unethicial treatment of animals for a low cost to you is just plain evil!!!

Brooke said...

Theres a difference between "giving in to the unethicial treatment of animals for a low cost to you" and not voting for a proposition that is too limited to be useful or efective and will only raise my cost of living. Again, the idea is good. I agree with the idea. But this is California, the 7th largest economy in the world. All this would do is force the animal molesters to find a more financially hospitable environment to operate in. Either another state, or Mexico. We already got diahrrea from the produce grown there (thanks alot NAFTA), you want people to die from tainted chicken?
-Eric

Brooke said...

"...tainted chicken" ...and pay more for it too?
-Eric