Thursday, May 29, 2008

Here is a mini update about our oh-so exciting lives.

Daphne: First of all, potty training is going good. She has about an accident a day, but is in panties all the time. She only wears a diaper during sleep and even then it's pretty much dry. She loves her "horsie panties" (My Little Pony) and doesn't like to pee her pants. She's working on it just as hard as we are and I'm very proud of her. This morning I asked her if she needed to go potty and she said no, but just a minute after that I heard her go upstairs and when she got up there she was saying "no no no no no". I ran up there because I thought she peed her pants but she was standing in front of her potty, so I pulled down her pants and she went. I think she was thinking about what would have happened if she did pee her pants which is why she was saying "no no no". I'm teaching her to take off her pants now so she can go by herself which I think would eliminate accidents.

Here's her potty training chart. She has loaded it up with Little Einstein stickers. I bet if we consistanly gave her stickers on it, it would be filled up. We kinda slacked with it for a few days because she moved from going in her little potty downstairs to going in the grown up potty upstairs and the transition of the potty chart followed slowly behind. Another step we've taken towards Daphne becoming a big girl is taking the siding off her crib. So now it's like a day bed. It has been an interested experience. At first she thought it was fun to get out and play. I think the first day we had the siding off she didn't nap that day and it took her about an hour and a half to fall asleep. One day she even fell asleep on the floor with her books. She has quickly realized that sleep is much needed and is more comfortable when it's in her soft bed. Some days she doesn't nap, but that's ok, she spends a couple hours quietly reading in her room. As long as there's quiet time, I'm ok with that.
One day Daphne and I were so bored that I built her this fort with our dining table. She really loved it and I still do it occassionaly upon her request. I love how she'll play with her toys in it for hours while I can get stuff done. I was pondering at how funny it was that I built her a fort (because my mom never let us do it) and came up with a good saying: "a good mom won't get mad at you for building a fort, a good mom will build it for you."
Daphne still LOVES little einsteins and watches them every day. Also, I think she has officially entered the "terrible two's" stage. She gets very fussy when she doesn't get exactly what she wants and throws herself on the floor. We have been starting to do time outs which are very effective. The last few days have been kinda rough for her and she's had at least one a day this week I think.

John:

John got all his grades back and did very well. I'm very proud at how well he is doing in school, yet I cannot wait to be done. And it makes it all the harder to wait til it's done because it's LESS THAN THREE MONTHS AWAY!!!

So here's a little update on our move out west. John has applied to several counties in Oregon and Washington. He first applied to the District Attorney's office in downtown Portland and we haven't heard back yet. I believe that is because the guy who is in charge of approving internships is on a big murder case and won't be taking care of anything else until his case is done. So in the mean time John applied to the District Attorneys office in Vancouver Washington. They received his application and really like him and offered him an internship there where he would be working on prosecuting misdemeanors. I think I got this right. If not I'll have to check with John and come back and correct it. But, he would be starting out with misdemeanors and working in court. He is really excited about this and will take it if the job in Downtown Portland doesn't work out. Vancouver is only minutes away from Portland, infact, they are only seperated by a river. So we still haven't decided what we would do as far as where exactly we would live, etc. We could really live in either place. The great thing about this situation is that, Washington doesn't have income tax, AND Oregon doesn't have sales tax! So if John worked in Washington and we shopped in Oregon we would be avoiding TWO FORMS OF TAXES! That's enough to convice us! So anyway, as you can tell, we're pretty excited. I'll fill ya all in on the details as they unfold. But as for now, if we don't hear from downtown Porland, it looks like it'll be Vancouver.

A couple other things going on with John... he still works/volunteers for the Eaton County Prosecutor's Office. He does this two days a week and one of the days he is actually working in court. I like it because he comes home with all kinds of interesting stories to tell me. I tell ya, some people do the stupidest things. Also, John's best friend Brian Jenkins came to visit us this week from St. Louis Missouri. Good times...

Me:

Not much is going on with me. I'm pretty busy making sure everything is taken care of. I am still hard at work with school and cleaning houses. Cooley is doing a 5k in the beginning of June and I am debating whether or not I should do it. I would do it in a heart beat if it didn't cost $20. The 5k I did for the YMCA only cost $10. So we'll see what happens with that. I'm also very excited to move. I'm NOT excited about packing and having to pay $2000 to move all our furniture, but I am excited to get out of Lansing and travel across the country. We're planning on it taking 6 days and we're going to see Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park and of course Seattle.

So other than the perfect 74 degree whether today, everything is going very well as of lately.

9 comments:

McGinnis Family said...

Wow! Things are really falling into place for you! Daphne is doing AWESOME!!!! It's pretty exciting, isn't it? It's also exciting to know we'll all be out of school soon! Wahoo! That's cool you're going through Yellowstone! great idea!

Janee said...

That's awesome news about the externships - I hope you guys get the one you want! That's what I love about working in court - you see the craziest stuff ever!

Dude, I can't believe those entrance fees! I paid $75 for Hawk Island triathlon and now I'm pissed...did I get ripped off?!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Less than three months-- HOORAY! And I like your idea of avoiding taxes :)

Rylie said...

Yay for Daphne! That chart is a really good idea. I am glad you guys are doing well! :D

Rylie said...

Yay for Daphne! That chart is a really good idea. I am glad you guys are doing well! :D

Brooke said...

Daphne's getting soooo big!!! Glad to hear that you guys are doing well. The road trip sounds long and fun!!!

Alyson said...

Good job on the potty training! Daphne is getting so big! I can't believe she wasn't even one when you guys first moved here! How time flies..

Lynette Olsen said...

please remember your mom has fibromyalgia and that's why you didn't get to do a lot of things you wanted to do.

i thought dems liked taxes. how else do they pay for all of those social services they love?

that's a good cat for you. it matches your hair.

Amberly said...

Although a democrat- I hate their view on taxes. That is actually one thing that is quite republican about me.

Ya- the cat really matches my hair, seeing as my hair is brown and blonde, and the cat's hair is orange, black and white.