Friday, December 14, 2007

Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies


These cookies have gotten so much attention since I've made them for the Relief Society cookie exchange, I'm tempted to keep the recipe a secret! But I could never do that... I really love these cookies, and for me, I don't think any other cookie quite says "Christmas" like these ones with their tasty peppermint chunks on top. So for all you itching for the recipe- here it is!
1 package (8 oz) Cream Cheese, (softened)
1 1/2 sticks butter, (softened- and I've used margarine, and they turned out fine)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 squares Baker's Semi Sweet Chocolate, melted
1 package (6 oz) Baker's Premium White Baking Chocolate
12 hard peppermint candies, crushed
(I used a back of peppermint chunks, and I think it's better than actual peppermint candies)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add flour and baking soda; mix well. Blend in melted semi sweet chocolate.
(The recipe doesn't say this, but I think the dough is easier to handle if it's refridgerated for like 10-15 mintues before you divide it, and roll it out.)
Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into 52 balls (What I did is cut my dough into 48 equal balls. This way all the cookies will be a little bigger). Roll each ball into 3 in long rope. Place 2 inches apart, on baking sheet, bending top of each slightly to resemble a candy cane.
Bake 10-12 minutes (I did no more than 10 minutes); cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely. Microwave white chocolate as directed on package; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Let stand until chocolate is firm.
Well, I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as me! I am definetely hanging onto this recipe, and making it a Christmas time staple!

3 comments:

Alyson said...

LOOOVE the new family picture. LOOOVE the cookies too. Thanks for the recipe!

Rylie said...

I loved those cookies! Chris did too! Your family picture is adorable!

Dawn said...

I am one of those people who loved your cookies! Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to make them. Your family pic is really cute. Love the black and white. Have a great vacation!